The members and leadership of St. Tammany Fire District No. 1 are strongly encouraged to participate in community related activities. Many of our members are involved in coaching youth sports, participating in professional, civic, and fraternal organizations, and acting as mentors in youths at risk programs. We believe it is vitally important to be seen as a contributor in our community. Our community is very good to us and we believe this provides us an opportunity to repay that generosity.
1. United Way (Corporate Partner)a. Red Beans and Rice Cook-off (A United Way fundraiser that will certainly be won next year by our Chef-in-Residence Capt. Tyrone Collins – Firefighter of the Year 2008)b. Glitz and Glamour Gala (A United Way fundraiser featuring our exceptionally handsome Fire Chief, Larry Hess, and Chief of Administration, Chris Kaufmann as fashion show models each year)2. Mayor Freddy Drennan’s Annual Wildlife Cook-off for the Community Christian Concern (It’s only a matter of time before we pound the Slidell Police into submission during this event)
3. Sitting on the Boards of Directors for:a. STARC (St. Tammany Association of Retarded Citizens)b. Pediatric Foundation of the North Shored. United Way4. Savanna Smiles (A charity dedicated to the memory of Savanna Scharfenstein who tragically died as a result of injuries sustained during a Christmas parade)
a. East St. Tammany Leadership Development (A five-month community based program that includes community leaders and provides them with an in-depth exposure regarding community programs, parish and city government operations, and service opportunities)6. Pam Nash Safe Kids Day (Dedicated in memory of Pam Nash who served this fire district for over 20 years and last assigned to our Fire Prevention Bureau, this program is an annual cooperative effort support by Northshore Regional Medical Center, Academy Sporting Goods, Alton Elementary School and other private partners)
7. Fit Like a Firefighter (This is a very unique, one week camp conducted at our Academy each summer focused on children who are at risk for a life time of obesity and related illnesses)
8. New York Says Thank You (Started by Jeff Parness with the backing of members of the FDNY following 9/11 to pay back the rest of the country for coming to their aid, this program now includes 4 to 7 of our members that respond to an area devastated by a natural disaster and assist for one week in rebuilding that community)
9. Hospice Foundation of the South Annual Crawfish Cookoff (Here again we have been blocked by our brothers at the Slidell Police Department. This year we will seek our revenge by "doctoring" their recipe)10. Breast Cancer Awareness Month In October of 2009 St. Tammany Fire Protection District No.1 began the tradition of officially supporting Breast Cancer Awareness. Based on employee input, the department allowed customized pink "Breast Cancer Awareness" uniform shirts to be worn in place of the traditional uniform shirt for the month. Additionally, apparatus have been outfitted with pink ribbons in honor of all those affected by this disease.